Associated Fastening Products, Inc. is a trusted source for waterjet cutting services. Using our cutting-edge 2-,3-, and 5-axis waterjet cutting equipment we produce high-quality customized fastening components. Our decades of industry experience and machining capabilities have earned us a positive reputation in the OEM market for delivering superior service, reliability, and a wide variety of high-quality components. Each client that does business with us receives individualized and personal attention on their unique projects.
What Is Waterjet Cutting?
Waterjet cutting is a subtractive manufacturing method that uses pressurized pumps to power high-pressure waterjets that precisely remove material from the workpiece to create the intended shape. For increased cutting power, abrasives, such as garnet, are often added to the water. Abrasive waterjet cutting is typically reserved for cutting hard metals, while pure waterjet cutting is intended for softer materials such as plastics, rubber, or wood.
There are several different ways that waterjet cutting may be carried out to achieve the desired results for a specific project, including:
- Abrasive Flow Machining: This method is used to hone and deburr interior sections of workpieces that traditional deburring machines cannot access. The process uses abrasives to erode unwanted, extruded particles on the interior surface of the material, creating a smooth finish.
- Abrasive Jet Machining: This method uses high-pressure water and abrasives to remove material, burrs, and particles from the workpiece.
- High-Pressure Water Cutting: Hydraulic pumps harness the pressure created by the water and convert it into mechanical energy, further intensifying the pressure of the water flow and allowing it to form soft materials without creating water residue.
- CNC Water Jet Cutting: This method performs the same techniques as high-pressue water cutting while working on multiple axes to complete the processes simultaneously. Common cycles that CNC waterjet cutting can execute include forming, deburring, cutting, honing, and more.
Advantages Of A Waterjet Cutting Service
The waterjet cutting process does not apply heat as a means of subtraction, eliminating thermal stress common with other machining methods. Because no heat is applied, the materials maintain their structural integrity. This is just one of the many benefits of waterjet cutting. Other advantages include:
- Cost-effectiveness – Waterjet cutting incurs minimal tooling costs and produces little waste, as such it is an ideal method for creating prototypes.
- Safety – There are no harmful gases produced in the waterjet cutting process, making it far safer than alternative methods of producing the same parts. Additionally, the high-pressure stream is minimally exposed, decreasing the risk of operator injury.
- Product Control – Compared to traditional cutting methods, waterjet cutting offers increased control over the machining process, making it easier to achieve the precise specifications and dimensions required.
- Versatile – Water pressure is easily controlled and can be used on a wide range of materials without adversely affecting their structural integrity.
- Low Maintenance – Waterjets don’t require a lot of service to remain in use and operational. They don’t have many parts, so it is easy to keep them fully functioning even after many uses. Parts that need maintenance, such as the nozzle, are simple to replace.
What Materials Can Be Used With Waterjet Cutting Services
Associated Fastening Products carries an extensive selection of materials in different thicknesses suitable for waterjet cutting processes. Our material selection includes:
- And many others
Why Select Associated Fastening Products Inc. For Your Waterjet Cutting Projects?
Associated Fastening Products, Inc. is comprehensive provider of waterjet cutting services and more. We will work with you from start to finish to determine the optimal fabrication technique all the way to selecting a high-quality finishing company. We are committed to delivering quality at every stage of production — from superior customer service to detailed communication to state-of-the-art technology and industry expertise, we aim to exceed your expectations. For more information about our waterjet cutting or other services, contact us or request a quote today.
Associated Fastening Products, Inc. offers laser and waterjet cutting services, producing customized components utilizing our state-of-the-art 2, 3, 5, and 6-axis equipment. Complex shaping and burr-free cuts are accomplished with our precision laser cutting processes, featuring CO2 (Gaseous) and Nd:YAG (Solid State) laser types along with flying optic, moving material, and hybrid laser configurations. A range of materials can be precision cut including metals such as aluminum, heavy plate, ferrous metals, monel, inconel, stainless steel, steel, thin metal, and pipe, as well as non-metallic materials including acrylic, ceramic, paper, paperboard, plastic, rubber, and wood. Cuttings are made in a variety of sizes and diameters, achieving superior edge quality (from 1 to 5) with high-pressure waterjet cutting capabilities.
We handle prototype to production volumes, boasting rapid turnaround times with hot rush orders and pre-expedited ordering available. We are dedicated to customer satisfaction, giving personalized attention to each client. In addition to laser and waterjet cutting we offer a broad range of value added services including reverse engineering, plating, welding, assembly, kitting, special packaging, warehousing, and customized shipping programs. For more details about the precision laser and waterjet cutting services available, or our other ancillary services please see the table below or contact us directly.